Spring can be a great time to clear out clutter and start fresh, both inside and outside your home. The milder days of spring are a perfect time to get outside and start your spring cleaning and perform some basic home maintenance.
This checklist will help make it easier to tackle these spring home maintenance projects.
- Gutters – Clean leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts to keep water flowing and reduce the possibility of water damage.
- Roof – Check for any damage from snow or ice, and make any necessary repairs to reduce the possibility of leaks. Also, check the indoor ceiling for signs of leaks. (Remember to put safety first any time you are on a roof. If you have any doubt, leave it to the professionals.)
- Air Conditioning – Check around the unit for indications of leaks. Before turning it on for the season, have your air-conditioning system inspected and tuned up by a professional. Check the drain lines annually and clean them if they are clogged. Change the air filter before turning it on for the season.
- Siding – Take a walk around your house and look for any siding damage. Be sure to repair any pieces of siding that are extremely weathered or cracking. If you have painted wood siding, peeling or loose paint should be scraped off, sanded and repainted.
- Windows – Repair any peeling or cracked caulk around the seals. Repair or replace any screens that have holes, and ensure winter wind hasn’t loosened any screens from their fasteners.
- Landscaping – Trim back shrubs and trees. Remove dead branches. Prepare your flower beds for planting.
- Outdoor Plumbing – After opening valves for outdoor water supplies, be sure to inspect components for leaks. Don’t forget to check inside plumbing as well as outdoor spigots.
- Smoke Detectors – Daylight saving time is a good time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Inspect Driveways and Paths – Freezing and thawing is rough on concrete, asphalt, and other hardscaping materials. Take a walk around your property to look for damage to walkways, paths, and driveways, and schedule repairs as needed.
- Review Your Home Insurance Policy – Make any necessary adjustments. Meet with your insurance agent regularly to adjust all of your policies as your home and family change over time.
Call CFC Insurance today at 309.243.1010 to discuss your insurance needs or request a free quote!