- About Us
Down Payment Plus
Up to $6,000 Grant
Down Payment Plus is a matching program that provides down payment and closing cost assistance for income-eligible homebuyers. The assistance is provided in the form of a forgivable grant paid on behalf of the borrower at the time the borrower closes on mortgage financing with a participating financial institution, such as Better Banks. Grants are not restricted to first time home buyers and can be used for down payment, closing costs or rehab costs. Grants are forgiven on a monthly basis over a five-year retention period. The amount of the grant changes yearly and requirements are announced each year in March. Funds for this program are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until the funds are depleted. For 2022, the maximum grant amount is the lesser of $6,000 or three times the homebuyer’s net contribution.
To be eligible, you must meet income and eligibility requirements, including:
- Your total household income may not exceed 80 percent of the area median income based on income guidelines published annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Human Development (HUD).
- You must contribute at least $1,000 toward the home purchase.
- You must attend pre-purchase home buyer education to ensure you understand the buying process as well as ownership responsibilities.
- You must use the home as your primary residence.
- You must sign a five-year retention agreement and agree to a lien on the property for the amount of the DPP grant. DPP grants are forgiven over a period of five years (1/60th per full month). In the event of property sale or removal of the Affordable Housing Program (AHP) Lien prior to the end of the 5-year retention period, the homebuyer(s) may be required repay a pro rata of the grant.
- You must meet Better Banks' loan underwriting criteria.
To find out if you’re eligible for Down Payment Plus, contact a Better Banks lender today.